Monday, June 16, 2008

Photo Of The Day: June 16, 2008

Like most people, I have more than one watch. I have a nicer watch I use for more formal occasions, and I have a less expensive watch for casual wear. The strap to that casual watch broke Saturday, and it was so inexpensive that it wasn't worth fixing. But I wanted to have a watch with me as I'm rather compulsive about time. So I dug deep in an old drawer and found the first "real" watch I ever owned. It cost a small fortune in its day, and I recall being so excited by the new quartz technology of the time, which meant no winding, and a second hand that jumped from second to second rather than executing a full sweeping motion which had, until that point, been all you could get. The battery was dead and the crystal was scratchy, so I took it to a local jeweler who replaced the battery and put in a shiny new crystal. Sure enough, over two decades after I first acquired it, the old Seiko Quartz watch is working like a charm and has resumed its position as a contender for more casual wear. Here's how it looked Saturday after the repair. For more pictures of still lifes, visit Paul Scharff Photography.com.

No comments: